- Are you more of a homebody or a “rolling stone that gathers no moss?” How has this played out in your life?
- Have you ever known someone who seemed to know everybody and always knew what was going on in the neighbourhood? What role did they play in the community?
Read Jeremiah 29:4-14
- Look at 1 Peter 2:11-12. How is our situation as Christians similar to God’s people in exile who are being addressed in this passage from Jeremiah?
- The false prophets spoken of in this passage were telling God’s people not to settle down. Why do you think this was an appealing message to Gods’ people in a foreign land?
- God had a purpose for His people putting down roots in Babylon. What reasons can you see from the passage?
- God’s message to those in exile was not that they should assimilate with Babylonians by losing their identity or by giving up their religious practices or hope of future rescue. What impact do you imagine they had by both “seeking the prosperity of the city” and being true to their God?
- If we as a church family are taking our belonging to our place seriously, what difference can we expect to make?
- What is one thing this group can do to better embrace the place where God has planted us?