You can download a submission form from Marlborough District Council who have put together a Draft Policy for seeking feedback. This is available via the following
Be polite in what you write. You may want to develop points I have made in my submission. These are the following:
- There is a desire to serve visitors to our region.
- Christians can (have done and do now) celebrate the resurrection without public holidays.
- There are only 3 and a half days left in NZ that people can guarantee time off.
- Workers are pressured to work despite the right of refusal provisions. There are also wage issues.
- Small (=local) business people have no protections. They are forced to open because their larger chain store competition is open.
- This proposal adds pressures to already pressured society. More suicides? Impact on families?
- Have a policy of no trading other than what is permitted now.
- A compromise might be to permit trading for tourists who cannot organise themselves or respect local traditions, at the major tourist entry points - ie The port area at Picton and Marlborough Airport only.
The background to this is that Parliament recently voted to allow local councils to make decisions about Easter Sunday trading in their local areas.